Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Primary mirror cleaning

A few weeks ago I saw this very annoying smudge on my primary mirror. I think it was a droplet of water that fell of the secondary mirror after a observing session.....Since it was almost entirely behind the secondary mirror it did not really influende telescope performane....but every time I collimated my telescope I saw this very irritating smudge.....



With the help of clean water with only 1 small droplet of dishwashing soap and some cotton pads I was able to remove it very slowly. Every time taking a new pad, dripping it in water, and slowly move it to the middle of the mirror, without pushing (only letting the pad clean by its own weight). After that I picked up the water with every time a clean pad....The smudge stain is almost 100%, only a very small one remains, but I consider that acceptable.

No comments: