Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cloudy nights: so scope pimping time

Most nights are cloudy, so there's not much to be seen with the telescope, so it's scope pimping time.
I decided to turn my heq5 pro mount into a real goto mount with the EQDIR interface. After installing it I can star-align my mount, together with Cartes du Ciel planetary software in such a way that I can easily select any object in CdC and the scope will automatically slew to that object. This will enable me to see many objects in 1 night without having the fuss off starhopping from 1 object to another. Which is in turn nice to do, but takes a lot of time, and since the nights are getting shorter it makes sense to focus on using the "dark time" more efficiently. We'll see what happens when the EQDIR interface arrives from the USA.......

No comments: